Sweet Tooth Surprise

by Colleen Britain

When thinking about Halloween, people often think of the candy that is given out. Sometimes getting all the same candy can get a bit boring, so that’s why I tried to make a substitute to Halloween candy. Even though it is an alternative, it still has the classic component to Halloween: the candy. But instead it had the classic combination of salty and sweet. I made chocolate covered pretzels that are covered with bits of candy.

To make them all you have to do is crush up bits of your favorite candy, and melt some chocolate chips in a double boiler. I tried to find candy that has a filling, such as butterfingers, heath bars, and kit-kats. After everything was prepared I dipped the pretzels into the chocolate and then coated them with the bits of candy. Once all the chocolate and candy bits were used up, I put them in my fridge so the chocolate could harden. It was relatively easy, and the product was delicious.

When I brought them into class, they were a big hit. People said that the combination of sweet and salty made them the perfect alternative to eating a candy bar. The only suggestions were to add more candy bits, and maybe only dip half of the pretzel into the chocolate. So if this Halloween you are looking for something to do with all of your extra candy, try out this recipe and share it with your friends and family.